A rich and tasty variation on traditional shortbread
By : Yvette | Difficulty : Easy
• 250g plain flour
• 175g butter
• 75g caster sugar
• ½ tbsp of candied orange peel
• ½ tsp of cinnamon
• Preserving or demerara sugar for decoration
• Sift flour into a large bowl, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, stir in sugar, orange peel and cinnamon.
• Knead well to form a smooth dough.
• Roll the dough into a sausage shape approximately 7cm in diameter.
• Roll the dough in preserving sugar, wrap in cling wrap and chill until the dough is firm.
• Preheat oven to fan 150°C, conventional 170°C, gas 3.
• Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
• Cut into slices just under 1cm in thickness.
• Bake for 30 minutes until pale and golden.