Speech House Pudding
By : Harts Barn Cookery School| Difficulty : Intermediate
• 125g unsalted butter
• 50g caster sugar
• 4 egg yolks
• 120g SR flour
• 1 tbsp of Raspberry jam
• 4 Egg whites
• 1 tbsp bicarbonate of Soda dissolved into 2tbsp milk
• With a pastry brush coat the bottom and sides of a 2 pint pudding basin with softened butter. Set aside.
• In a bowl cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
• Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Then add the flour. Beat the mixture well.
• Add the raspberry jam and fold in carefully until mixed throughout.
• Beat up the egg whites, with an electric beater, until they form un-wavering peaks when the beater is lifted out of the bowl.
• Quickly stir in the soda and milk mixture and then gently fold in the egg whites.
• Spoon the mixture into the pudding basin and cover with a lightly buttered foil lid.
• Place bowl in a saucepan and pour in enough water to come halfway up the sides of the bowl. Bring the water to boil, then put a lid on the saucepan and simmer for 2 hours. Add more water if necessary.
• Remove the pudding from the water. Rest for a minute or so. Remove the foil lid and invert the pudding onto a plate.
• Melt 2 tbsp of raspberry jam in a saucepan and pour over the pudding. Serve with custard.